REI Review: How To Save More With a REI Membership
Posted on August 6, 2014
REI Membership will not only save you 10%+ on your purchases without a coupon code, but also has a lot of other benefits that not everyone knows about.
I’m usually weary when I go to a store and am offered the “extended warranty” or any membership options, but with the REI membership, it’s totally worth it. It’s just a simple, well-valued plan offered by a company staffed by good people. REI membership not only focuses on saving loyal customers money, but also makes a difference in the community, both outdoors and local. I have some friends who work at REI, and across the board, it’s something they all feel good about selling to customers (unlike the “extended warranty” up-sells at other stores).
Saving Money With a REI Membership
- You get an average of 10% back on all your purchases at the end of the year. You don’t need a coupon code, you just give them your membership info (online it’s done when you log in, at the store you use your phone number).
- The fee is $20 for a lifetime membership. So the more years that you have it, the less it actually ends up costing.
- If you are buying something over $200, it pays for itself immediately.
- There are often member-only sales with up to 50% off. According to my REI friends, these sales often draw larger crowds than holiday shopping.
- Every once and a while they send out 20% (or similar) coupons.
- You get discounts on classes and services at the store (depends on the store and service). For example, I get my bike serviced at REI all the time. My cost with the REI membership is about 60% of the regular price.
- I use my membership with my milage credit card and get even more back. You could also combine your purchase with a cash-back credit card to get 15%+ back (when you combine all the cash back)
REI Review: The Benefits of Shopping There
- You can go online and check whether they have your item in stock at stores (if you want to buy it right away).
- You can go to the actual store to check gear out.
- Workers at the store will take the time to show you how to use gear.
- If you order online, they have free shipping over $50 and their prices usually match the lowest online or at worst, are a dollar or two more.
- The have a great return policy.
- They are good people who love the outdoors. If you visit a store and speak with anyone working there, they are knowledgable and friendly. Most of the time they are ‘into it’.
- They have classes at their stores covering all things outdoors.
- They treat their workers right.
- They have an outlet, the REI Outlet, where you can save crazy amounts on last year’s gear.
REI Membership: Using the Coupon Code For Anything
So there are some items that rarely get discounted or go on sale. One of those is a GPS emergency beacon that I recommend everyone gets. I won’t go into details, but basically if you get hurt or lost, anywhere in the world, you press a button and rescuers will come find you.
Normally it goes for $280 or so. I used my 20% member coupon, and then got 10% back on the item, saving $84 (30%) on the sale. Now normally I would not be able to get any discount on this item.
Also note that if you got a REI membership when you bought this, the dividend of $28 back would cover the cost of membership and then some.
What has your experience with REI membership been? Please let me know in the comments section below! Thank ya!